Sunday, April 03, 2011

Business Trip Extraordinaire--Day 8

This was a very unusual Sunday for me. I worked for most of the day. As a Latter-day Saint, that is very unusual for me. We believe in keeping Sunday holy. We also believe in getting the ox out of the mire, and since I did not have the option to skip work today and keep my job, I considered this an ox in the mire. It wasn't the most effective day of work, but it wasn't bad. I'm grateful that I get to go to church next Sunday.

I missed General Conference, but tonight I made time to watch President Monson's Sunday morning talk. I was pleased that he talked about the Manaus Temple. It was announced in the news media four years ago, rather than in conference. Some of you probably know that I served in the Manaus Mission in the days when members traveled seven days each way to go to the São Paulo Temple. For example, I knew a faithful man who was getting ready to SELL HIS HOUSE to raise the money to take his family to the temple. Once. It was probably their only chance to go. Now they'll be able to go every week. Of course, they'll probably volunteer as temple workers a few hours a week too.

At work today, the company president came into the auditorium where we were working to chat with someone (not me) about our work. This is that important of a project, hence working the weekend.

Two days until the Main Event. After that, we start post-event activities on Wednesday: reviewing what went well and what we can improve, preserving the work we did and the demos we built, etc. On Thursday, I fly out of here. I still have fifteen days until I get home. But eight days are done, so I am now one-third of the way through my business trip extraordinaire. Right now I hope I never have to do this again, but at the second half of my trip should be infinitely more enjoyable than this first half.

No comments: