Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Business Trip Extraordinaire--Day 17

Today I did have a better day, after a nice night of sleep. My hotel room looks dilapidated and dingy, but in reality it's clean, safe, quiet, and comfortable.

Today we went to the trade show site to finish setup and do Day 1 of 4 of the show. The trade show suppliers here don't concern themselves much with making sure we're ready for showtime. It doesn't help that every service and piece of equipment--Internet, electricity, cabinets, this kind of chair, that kind of chair, etc.--comes from a different supplier. Thankfully, I speak enough Portuguese to get people to do what we needed, but we weren't completely open for business by showtime. No big deal. There wasn't much traffic until the afternoon. I was pleased that I was able to help the booth next door, which had no Portuguese speakers.

I worked today with some people from my company as well as some interesting folks from our Brazilian distributor's office here in Rio. We had a good day overall. It was productive but long. The show went until 7 PM. Then we had a long taxi ride back to our hotels. When I arrived, I went for some dinner at a restaurant that I have visited before. It was good but not as great as I remembered, so I'll try somewhere new tomorrow.

These long days of trade show and taxi will make this a one-dimensional week for me, similar to preparing for the Main Event a couple of weeks ago. I don't like it much. But this is what I do to provide for my family, and that makes it much easier.

No comments: