Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Amelia's Arm Surgery

The surgery on Amelia's broken arm went well. It took longer than expected, because the break was complicated. There was just one break, but it was a curved break right above the elbow (see the x-ray from Tracy's earlier post). Moreover, the broken bone pieces were poking into the muscle, so that when the surgeon initially straightened it out yesterday, the muscle was pinched in there. No wonder Amelia had a very hard night of sleep.

Today the surgeon realized what had happened with the muscle, so he had to cut open the arm to sort everything out, which he was not expecting to do. We were told to expect one hour in the OR, which turned into three.

Now Amelia is asleep at home, still under the effects of the anesthesia. Tracy is out gathering medicines for when the anesthesia wears off.

Thanks very much to all well-wishers and especially to those families who have watched our boys today and yesterday while we have helped Amelia.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

What a brave girl! That's too bad about the pinched muscle, but I'm glad everything is sorted out now.

P.S. We wish we could have watched your boys :)

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry, I hope she heals well, it wasn't your tramp was it? Give her our best wishes, she's a sweetie and we will pray for her too. Was it her right or left arm? We are looking forward to seeing you guys again in September!

Gary S. said...

It was not our trampoline. We don't even have space for one.

She broke her right arm, which is her dominant arm. It's a good thing school is out!

holly b said...

oh my! poor girl! glad they got her fixes up, but what a way to start summer vacation! I get nervous about trampolines, our kids play on them at friends houses and I just hope nothing bad happens!

that's ironic too about Simon getting his off as Amelia gets one. At least they won't have them at the same time...what would people say?? ; )

Jodi said...

Poor Amelia! Hope it heals real quick!

TracieCarter said...

My friend down the road just got a trampoline for the kids and I was just bemoaning the fact that we left ours in VA! Poor Amelia!!! I hope this ends a string of trips to the doc for new injuries! No fun, but impressive x-ray! I've got a nice one of my shattered femur from a soccer game if ya ever need it in your arsenal someday :) Course, I still played a year later, but it was something!

mindy said...

My goodness, you guys have had quite the summer. I"m so sorry we weren't there to help when you needed it. I hadn't realized her break was so serious. I hope everything heals well. Owen's break was in that same spot, but not as bad. The dr. said he was lucky he didn't need surgery, that most breaks there do. Poor girl!!

I'm assuming you'll wait a week or two in the new house to get that trampoline you've always wanted... I mean come on, you've got the yard space now. And Johnny hasn't broken an arm yet. He needs a turn (with Yanni I guess??)!

Good luck with the house--I hope it all works out for the best for you guys.