Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Helpful Hands

Jonny and Amelia have been my great helpers in these last few days in unique ways.

Amelia "hooved" a placemat at school (read weave, but she can't remember that word.) So I decided to include her in my latest weaving project. My last weaving project took place for Mother's Day in 2001. Jimmy was a few months old and I wove a small basket for my mother and mother in law. So it's been a while. We have no Thanksgiving decorations and since Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I decided to try to weave a cornucopia to be more festive. I think perhaps I should have looked at a picture of a cornucopia before I started or maybe found a pattern or something. But here it is: a kind of wonky looking cornucopia filled with pictures of things Jonny is thankful for (his family night lesson)




Jonny was kind of glum and didn't want to do any of his usual activities, so I offered to let him help me sew. He loves to help me sew. He helped me sew a couple of quilt tops for a veteran's hospital (a pet project of a woman in my ward.) Today he helped me hem up some pants. I put him in charge of the pedal to make the machine go. I don't think I realized just how fast a sewing machine could go until I had a 3 year old at the controls!

1 comment:

amphvivian said...

Wow, you actually wove an odd shape like a cornucopia! I am impressed! Weaving is one of the hobbies I want to do but will have to wait until I can live in a cottage in the woods supported by a wealthy patron.
My sewing ;machine had a button you can slide form turtle to hare to control the speed; the kids only get to help when it is on turtle.:)