Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ugly Cake Party

I would like to invite everyone to participate in an ugly cake party, to celebrate my brother Arthur's 36 birthday. When he was a teenager, he liked to bring ugly cakes to church potlucks, just to see how people would react. Usually, a small child would point to the "pretty cake" and ask for a piece and the mom would say "are you sure you want THAT one?" As Arthur died 12 years ago in a canoeing accident, I'd like to do a little something to help the kids get to know the uncle they've never met.

So, if you feel inclined, on or about FEB 22,
bake and frost a cake, (have fun with color!)
take a picture and send it to me (email is great, or if there's a way you can leave a photo comment here, do that)
eat the cake with your family and share fun memories of those who aren't with you

2 comments:

TracyS. said...

Well, our ugly cake party didn't go off quite as planned, but at least the kids got to find out who really made up "to tie my shoe, to say P-U" (and if you're on the other side of the family, think "5th East kids" and you'll get similar groans.)

TracyS. said...

Okay, okay since you asked, I'll tell you. I was very small and watching Mr. Rogers. He was singing a song about learning to tie his shoes. The song went "to tie my shoe..." (I don't think I'll ever remember the rest, because I made up my own "clever" end) So after I heard his version of the song, I improved it to say "to tie my shoe, to say P-U." My older sister overheard me and thought it was funny and she sang it too. Other people heard her sing it and thought she made it up. Then they forgot
a)that they thought she made it up
b)that I REALLY made it up
and everyone started to claim they made it up. This became one of the groaners that my mom said would be solved in heaven, because we would remember everything there.