Monday, March 02, 2009

Terror in the Bathtub

Saturday night, Jimmy (age 7) and Jonathan (age 3) were taking a bath together downstairs while Gary and I cleaned up dinner. Suddenly, we heard shouting "Help! HELP! Somebody stop Simon! HELP!" Gary ran downstairs as fast as he could and a few minutes later emerged with a tale. When he arrived, Simon was waving Jonny's underpants in the air, mid throw. He caught them just before they landed in the tub. Jonny was near hysteria when Jimmy announced "he already threw mine in." I thought that perhaps Jonny's hysteria was unusual. He's a pretty mellow guy. Then I had a flash back to Valentine's Day and I understood.

Valentine's Day Flashback
Gary and I gave the kids dinner early that night and were planning to have a dinner date of our own once they were in bed. I was "helping" Jonny and Simon in the tub. I put that in quotation marks because what I was really doing was applying make up and watching them in the mirror. Suddenly, Jonny announces in a very weepy voice "Something howibble is happening in the tub" I turned around and saw him cowering in the corner of the tub. Simon was slowly walking across the tub in the manner of a monster in a bad horror movie. Now for the "howibble" part: in each hand he was wielding a fistful of poop. Definately enough to strike terror in the heart of our recently potty trained Jonathan.

So when Jonny saw Simon flinging underpants into the tub, he couldn't be sure what would come next.

No comments: