Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thirsty Girl

Last week or the week before we journeyed up to Pennsylvania to see my brother, his wife and their new baby Elizabeth. We stayed overnight on this visit in a local hotel. My dad (grandpa-diddo I suppose you could call him) came along for this trip and stayed with us. He generously stayed with the kids in the room so Gary and I could have a late night swim (THANKS!). As I finished tucking the kids in bed, Amelia started sobbing uncontrollably. As I was looking forward to the late night swim, I was perhaps not as patient as I should have been.
"what's wrong?"
"I'm thirsty"
"What could you do about that?" I wanted her to realize she was not powerless in this situation. She could get a drink or ask for one. She just kept screaming. So I continued "you could maybe ask for a drink?"
"NO! THIS IS A HOTEL AND THERE'S ONLY COFFEE IN HOTELS!"

I gave her a cup of water. And then joined Gary for a late night swim. I tried the butterfly stroke which I have only ever seen on TV. I got water up my nose but it was loads of fun anyway.

And the new baby, Elizabeth? She's just the cutest little baby that I've seen in a while. Maybe one day I'll get the pictures off of the camera phone and prove it.

3 comments:

Gary S. said...

Tracy did a great butterfly stroke! I tried it and did not even make it through one stroke.

Anonymous said...

*laughs* Poor Amelia.

Awe, Elizabeth says "Thanks." (Me too.) :)

holly b said...

how dramatic! that is funny though.