Saturday, July 05, 2008

Ruth's Art Challenge

My niece Ruth got bored this summer and decided to come up with a weekly art challenge for herself to complete. She (or her mom) invited the rest of the family to j0in in. This week's challenge was to draw yourself in a mood. Here's what we came up with, working with paint.

Silly Amelia

This is Amelia, sticking out her tongue and waving her fists. Her eyes shift from blue to green so she calls them "mystery eyes."

Silly Jimmy
Although I caught the kids at different times to do their art work, they both chose "silly" as their mood. Here is Jimmy saying silly words.

Can you guess my mood?! This is a reproduction of a drawing I did last year. Amelia was in a foul mood and had just bitten me really hard. So I suggested we both draw pictures of how we were feeling at that moment, just to air things out. I drew something similar to this, although I think I had bulging eyes in the original. Notice the really big teeth because I hate getting bit. Amelia's was a wobbly circle with lines coming out in every direction. "this is me with a thousand tongues and every tongue is spitting at you" she explained. We then talked about how we can have self control. Even though I felt like a wild woman on the inside, I did not act that way. Even though she FELT like spitting at me, she did not.

3 comments:

The Takemoto Family said...

Look at you, the art therapist!!! Good for you....

TracieCarter said...

And that's why I read your blog - sheer genius creative ways to laugh and deal with the ups, downs and spare time of kids! LOVE IT! Although I'm struggling to get my boys to even care about picking up a paint brush or crayon. Maybe I've got to let them loose with the real messy stuff so they'll get in the groove? we've only done the water colors, dry erase, and crayons thus far. Hmmm, something to think about!

Anonymous said...

Awe, fun pictures! Haha, I like your Mommy picture. ;)