Saturday, May 24, 2008

Caterpillars

Jimmy and Amelia have a sibling rivalry issue. Or maybe it's a maturity issue. Let's just say they don't get along well ALL the time. Lately, they have been making efforts to patch things up. Jimmy brought the first peace offering last week. He came home from school with a wriggling caterpillar that he caught just for her. She squealed with delight and named it Chip. I gave her a tupperware and told her to find some leaves for it. She carried it around and left it here and there. I found it on the kitchen counters a lot. So I encouraged her to keep it outside on the balcony. After 2 days of being Amelia's pet, Chip escaped. I have to admit I was very proud he was healthy enough to get away!
This week, she caught 2 caterpillars of her own,Chip (JR) and Dandelion. She and Jonny had great fun letting them crawl up and down their arms, etc. They gathered leaves and stuck them in a tupperware (no lid) on the balcony. I kind of forgot about them until Thursday, when I went on the balcony for the recycling box. I saw something white and fuzzy in the tupperware container. I thought "gee, it died and got moldy. how gross- and it's in my tupperware!" Then I remembered that they were CATERPILLARS and they make COCOONS! So now we are anxiously waiting for the cocoon (the new Chip escaped) to open and see the beautiful butterfly (or moth) that is inside.

2 comments:

holly b said...

that's so cool it made a cocoon where you can watch it! we sent away for some butterfly chrysalis's that we got as a gift from Grammum. We're excited to see them change and grow!

Unknown said...

So I posted and then got kicked off so you might get this twice! I hope your caterpillars make it but if they don't you can send "Amy" (I love that she self imposed a name change my sister's name is Amy) to Taiwan and she can collect the crunchy caterpillar like bugs that are infesting my house and see if they turn into butterfly's or big creepy crawlys. I killed 10 or so small caterpillars and 1 big yucky bug today-gross. But how fun for the kids to watch the cocoon and the change! We miss you guys!