Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Catch Up

There's so much I thought about saying over the weekend. I forgot it all by now. I hope by writing, I'll remember SOMETHING.

Simon asked me a few weeks ago what the walrus says. I made what I thought were appropriate grunting noises. He told me "no. Goo goo ga joob." (can you tell we got Beatles Rockband in the last few months?!)

James got tap shoes for his birthday and he loves stomping around in them, for a few minutes at a time. He is signed up for a late spring tap class at the rec center and couldn't be more thrilled. Well, I guess he could be. Amelia also chose the same tap dancing class for her birthday present. Boy was he mad about that. I let them each choose one class from the catalog and they weren't allowed to tell which one- to prevent copycats but they are both fascinated with tap dance and ended up choosing the same one. Did I ever tell you James likes to bake? Biscuits are his specialty. They turn out most of the time. He baked brownies for fhe. They were from a box and they turned out well. He can also heat up canned and frozen veggies but he never eats them.

Amelia can often be found reading the Friend magazine. She loves doing that more than anything but most especially baths, homework and chores. She consents to the hula dance practices. "It's just like taking medicine" (she says.) She LOVES to be on stage. Her hair is getting close to princess length, just how she wants it. Thankfully, she did not give in to the pressure to be bald. Millie (as she now prefers) has turned out to be quite a helper. She has learned to load and unload the dishwasher and even does it every now and then, by her own choice. And since she is so helpful, I really feel like being helpful too. Like when she hollers that her room is too messy or showers are too scary or what ever. I am glad that our relationship can go both ways.

Jonny and Simon love "scooter time." Since it has warmed up, we take the scooters around the block after lunch. Ahh- I am so glad to have the scooters out of the house these days. Since Simon got one for Christmas, I let him ride it in the house only until the weather warmed up. It didn't seem fair for him to have a present he couldn't use. I think I could have taken a beginner's timid riding through the house. Well it turned out Jonny liked the scooter more and he was fast. The faster the scooter went, the louder it echoed. Thinking about it now, I guess I am the one that likes "scooter time" the most.

Jonny loves to pretend he's a baby. It's a good thing Simon loves to play "daddy" because I don't have the patience for 4 year old babies. He and Simon also love to pretend to be "Busty the Dog" (Gary has a theory that he chose that persona because it has no /r/ /l/ or /sh/ in the name) Simon is "Puncil the Bear." They wear around their hooded animal towels and have high times together.

Baby girl will be making her appearance in roughly 7 weeks. She seems more active during the day than my last 2. I hope that means she won't be a night owl. Still no name, but at least she's healthy. And speaking of babies and pregnancy, it dawned on me that this time around I've been craving "Bruce's Yams." Yes, yams. They seem to sneak into my shopping car more often than not as of late. (I seem to have only one food fetish per pregnancy. They were 1. cucumbers 2. ice cream 3. baked beans 4. coleslaw 5. yams)

Since the weather was warm last week, we ate dinner in the yard one night. I handed Simon a sandwich and told him it was ham. He gave it back and told me he does not eat hamster. I told him it was pig and gave it back. He ate the meat and left the bread.

I am super happy to see all of the spring bulbs coming up in my yard. I have no idea what any of them are, but maybe when they bloom I'll recognize them. Okay, I wrote this last week. They are daffodils (the yellow kind and the white kind) and hyacinth (purple and pink.) And I love to see them bloom in the yard. The kids have to be talked out of picking them to bring to me. While I love the sentiment, but I have to tell them they look best in the ground or else the yard will be bare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts are so funny. I can totally hear your voice reading them to me.

A trick that I learned to keep my kids from picking all of the flowers is to get a pack of wildflower seeds and let the kids plant them in a seperate part of the garden. Then they can pick any of those flowers that they want. There is a good variety and you can get a big box of them at Walmart for a buck...totally worth it if it saves the fancier flowers.

TracyS. said...

I think I'll do that!

mindy said...

I'm all caught up on the kiddodiddo. You always make me laugh.

Wyatt has a boy in his new preschool named Jonny. He refers to them as Virginia Jonny and Bogota Jonny. It's so cute.