Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Snow Day!

Last night, I had a hard time sleeping, because I was expecting the "school is cancelled for snow" phone call at some random time in the early morning. I was so excited. I love snow days and look forward to every one!
This morning, I got dressed to clear the snow from the driveway and walks (Gary is in CA for a few days) and I got 2 surprises. One good, one not so good. When I opened the door, there was my neighbor Mr. Vic shoveling the driveway. He said he didn't want us to get trapped at home with sick kids or something. What a thoughtful person. I looked around to grab the shovel and join in and it was no where to be found. Then I remembered that 2 days ago the kids asked to borrow the shovel, snow brushes, ice scrapers, etc to build a huge mound of snow with the remnants of the last snow. They left everything in the back yard. It was now buried in snow and I couldn't find any of it. After some searching, I gave up and set the kids to the task. 10 minutes later, James triumphantly handed over the snow shovel.

When I got out of the shower this morning, I found Amelia in the middle of changing Simon's diaper. I offered to take over (it was a messy one) and both Simon and Amelia refused the help. Ahh- it's nice to have big kids!
Speaking of big kids, we woke up Sunday morning to a nice surprise. James was in the middle of making hot biscuits for a special breakfast. Gary came out in time to help him grease the sheet and stick them in the oven. He mixed the dough, etc all by himself. Everyone enjoyed the tasty, hot biscuits. I was so proud of him for taking on a project like that and pulling it off well.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

what a wonderful neighbor and I'm so proud of your kids too! That is neat that they are taking on bigger kid tasks.

Hope all is well with Gary gone and that he'll be back before you know it!

holly b said...

wow. you have some awesome kids there. I'm lucky if I can get mine to bring me the phone while nursing the baby! ; ) j/k. that is exciting to see them take on tasks with that kind of independence. everytime I make mac n cheese from the box with Evalyn I remember mastering it solo at a young age and the feeling of accomplishment it gave me. she can almost do it herself, it's very sweet.

and I smiled big at the lost snow shovel! we've had a very wimpy winter here. rain but not much fluffy white stuff. sigh. I have snow envy!!