Saturday, January 30, 2010

Down and Derby

We went to James's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby this morning. Everyone had a great time.

Here are the cars lined up at registration:

Here is a close-up of James's classic wedge (red, white, and blue):

Here is James having just lined up his car for one of many races:

And here is James with his awards at the end:

The certificate he earned was for Best Wedge Car. And it was the best wedge car. What you might not have also noticed was the ribbon and medal on his uniform:

That happens to be the award for First Place! Yes, James won the Pinewood Derby! I never had a good car when I was a kid, and I was always upset about it. James is a good boy and I knew he would handle this well. But today, he didn't have to, because he won all the marbles!

On the car, he did almost all the work himself. The most dangerous stuff (chisel, belt sander) was done by me, and Tracy and I offered minimal help on other things, but he built it almost independently. I'm so happy that he had fun building what turned out to be a fast car.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

That is awesome -- I can't believe he won! Congratulations, James! Maybe we'll have to get a few pointers for next year...

Dad said...

Congratulations to James! Gary, I remember how hard it was not to have a winning car. Sometimes it was a victory to just win a single heat.

James said...

I don't mean to brag but my car was pretty fast! I don't think that how I won is because of the shape of the car but because the axle slots are backward. The front wheels are in the back axle slots and vice versa.