Thursday, November 08, 2007

Halloween Lingers On

RIght before Halloween, Jimmy came home from school talking about his classroom jack o lantern. It was really gross, he said. It was totally disgusting and slimy inside. Given his comments, I figured he didn't want to carve his own pumpkin, which was decorated with Halloween-y stickers.

Two days ago, almost a full week after Halloween, he asked if he could carve his pumpkin. I was surprised, but agreed to carve out whatever he drew on the pumpkin. Our knives are REALLY sharp and I didn't want him to get hurt (as an aside, I sliced through my finger about a year after we got married and had to have it stitched- same knife, still sharp!) He drew two mouths on the pumpkin, one on each side. Similarly, I carved Amelia's pumpkin. She opted for the whole face.

At lunch yesterday, the kids amused themselves with the jack o lanterns. Jonny fed Jimmy's pumpkin rice, alternately feeding one mouth and then the other. Then he took of the lid and shouted "Hello!" I was surprised when he also provided an echo "hello!" Amelia thought that was really funny, so she did it too. Who knew jack o lanterns could be so much fun!

No comments: