Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Red Alert!

After taking a week to catch up from vacation, we are currentlt preparing the house for the arrival of new baby. He is due next month.
We decided that it would be best to divide the children into 2 bedrooms, instead of cramming all 4 of them in 1 room, using the other as a play room. Jimmy and Jonathan will share one room. Amelia and the new baby will share the other. Since one room will be boy and girl, I decided they should have the green room, and the boys would choose a new color for their room.
Jimmy got pretty creative with the paint simulator machine. He wanted red and green with white polka dots. He wanted it to look like Christmas, with snow balls. He liked it with 2 walls painted one color and 2 walls and the ceiling a different color. Jonathan chose orange with blue. He likes orange a lot.
After sitting on their suggestions for a few weeks, I asked them again about color. They chose red. Not just red, but RED ALERT red. In the brand we bought it goes by "flaming sword." It is not a subtle color. But Gary and I love our kids and want them to be happy, so we bought a couple gallons of flaming sword paint and supplies. We put the kids to bed and got to work. We painted until 1 in the morning. When we woke up, we saw that the paint had not covered very evenly. While Gary was at meetings, I hurriedly applied the remaining paint to one and a half walls. 2 coats looked a little better. The next day, I hauled the kids back to Home Depot for more paint. I told the clerk what I wanted and he tried to talk me out of it. Are you sure? He kept asking. He told me how hard red it to work with (Some people have to go up to 4 coats!) I told him I was in the middle of a project and would he please sell me the paint.
So the kids watched The Muppet Movie while I added more flaming sword to the boys room. I finished with the second coat and started on the third. I ran out of paint again. I left the paint to dry and called it quits for a few hours. We then journeyed back to Home Depot where again they tried to talk me out of the paint, I persisted and we returned home, not without incident. Amelia's a little jealous of the attention being paid to the boys room. (Once it's done, I'm going to make her a little pink canopy or curtains for her bed.)
So after dinner and family home evening, Gary and I applied the third and final coat of paint. It looks good. We left the ceiling, baseboards, and closet door white. We waited a couple a while and then started to peel off the tape. There were so many coats of paint dried onto it that it peeled paint off the walls when it came off. So now, the boys have a red room that needs lots of touch up work.
I decided that if we were going to have a room in our house the color of a flaming sword, it would be the best flaming sword colored room you ever saw. It's not quite there yet, but if you ignore the edges, it looks good. Once we touch up the walls where the bed goes, we'll put up the bunk bed and get the boys moved in. We may even get around to posting a picture of it, but don't hold your breath. I always intend to post pictures but it never happens!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Jonathan's choice of Orange and Blue. Is he a Bears fan like his Uncle Chris?

Leslie said...

Wow! You deserve a medal! How sweet to do this for your boys. And doing it while you are 8 months pregnant is amazing!

holly said...

I admire your perseverance in making it your kid's color choice. I love red for a kids room, but I stuck with trim and the door. Fortunately the underlying trim color was already grey, so that made it easier. But the door was white and I didn't use tinted primer so it took many many many coats to get it "right". I feel your pain!

That is frustrating about the tape. I had a similar thing happen with some blue trim in our front room. We just now got around to touching it up 2 years later!!

I'd love to see your red room before the craziness of babies ensues... but we'll definitely get together after the babies and before we move. :)

TracyS. said...

Jonathan may not be a Bears fan, but Jimmy is. The other day, we passed a grocery store that said "official store of the Washington Redskins" and Jimmy said "I wish it was the official store of the Chicago Bears!"