Thursday, September 07, 2006

School

Jimmy started kindergarten this week at Newton Lee Elementary School in our new neighborhood. I am driving him there until we officially move in at the end of the month. The first day of school must have been enjoyable, but I really don't get what happened. He came home from school telling us all about how his teacher has a flashlight and they get to go through secret passages. AND only the kids in Room 1 get to know the pass word for the secret passage. When pressed for details, none were given. Jimmy raelly enjoyed the school library on the second day of school. He checked out George and Martha, Encore! I always love reading George and Martha with him. Jimmy dreaded the third day of school because a fire drill was planned and he was scared it would be too loud. He made it through just fine. I thought that he liked school, but the other day, he told me he wished that Amelia would go to kindergarten instead. He is jealous of the extra time she has at home. (so THAT explains behavior problems we've had lately!) I'm sure it will all balance out over the next few weeks.
I never knew that being a parent of a school kid was so much work. He comes home with huge stacks of papers for us to fill out (most are PTO fundraisers, what they need the funds for,they don't say.) But hardest of all to figure out has been the "kiss and ride" drop off for the kids. The first day of school, they decided to let the kindergarteners out 30 minutes early, to get the parents used to the carpool lane, but did not tell the parents that they let the kids out early. Jimmy and his class had to stand out in the rain until all of us uninformed parents showed up at the regular time. At the end of the week, they sent home a flier explaining all of the rules for drop off/pick up, but this was a little late for me. I had already been chewed out about a different "violation" each day. I look forward to our move, so Jimmy can take the bus instead. Thanks for hearing out my rant. AND thanks to MOM and DAD for all of their hard work putting me through school.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, what an adventure! I'm glad to hear about it from you before we have to go through all this in a couple of years...you'll be a pro by then!

I'm glad that Jimmy doesn't have to switch schools after all.

TracyS. said...

I am glad that Jimmy and I have only one school to figure out. I didn't expect to have a difficult transition into being a school mom. I'm sure that it'll be no big deal in a few weeks.

holly said...

good for Jimmy! and phooey on the silly school mis-management! : P


it sounds like he really likes his teacher so far.