Sunday, January 01, 2012

the butter phase

I like to include the kids in the kitchen.  I like to cook and I like it when they join in.  I have a difficult time coming up with jobs for them sometimes though. 
Last week, preparing for Christmas dinner I had plenty of helpers in the kitchen.  I like the bustle.  Anyway, I was mixing something up (i forget what) and Rachel came up to ask for some of what I was making-  or so I thought.  I offered her some and she said no.  She pointed behind me, to Gary who had  unwrapped a stick of butter.  "THAT" she said pointing to the butter.  Funny thing about kids- they aren't embarrassed to tell you they would like to eat a stick of butter. 

I think it was last year, we were on a road trip and stopped at Cracker Barrel.  We ordered food and it was delivered.  I thought everyone had enjoyed their food but as we cleanned up, I realized that Simon had not eatten a bite from his plate.  Instead, he had managed to eat all of the butter packets on the table. 

And several years ago, after a stop at Bob Evans I found a bunch of empty butter cups in someone's bed.  Apparently he or she had taken them home as a doggy bag and enjoyed as a bed time snack. 

Once or twice I have had to throw out whole sticks of butter that showed signs of gnawing.  

I guess it's just one of those phases kids go through.  Then they figure out that butter is not a main course.   

No comments: