Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Alert!

Today the kids had no school.  And they showed their creative and wonderful sides and I was glad to have them home.

Amelia hauled an old latch hook kit out of the garage and her hands are now nimble enough to manage it herself.

James and Jonny decided they would like to be in a marching band and made construction paper instruments for themselves- a saxophone and a drum.  James also made a mace.  Amelia turned up her nose at the affair as the instruments were not real and James already had the best part.  I offered to make a flute for her out of a few toilet paper tubes and she thought that could really work, so I set off to make her one.  I was denied the hole puncher by Simon.  He was sitting on the floor with a sheet of yellow construction paper on his lap that he was steadily destroying with a hole puncher.

  Can I use that?  I asked.  “No.”  I was told “I am in a hole punching club and I need it.”  Well.  I was not about to interfere with his club activities, so I used something else to make my holes.  The kids dinked around with their make shift instruments for a while and I forgot all about it. 

Then, when I was giving Simon a bath, Jonny poked his head in the bathroom.  “There are blankets in the hall.  When you get out of the tub, don’t let your feet touch the floor or you could get mad chicken disease- that’s on all the yellow dots.” (Oh yes- the holes from Simon’s hole punching club.)  Simon was concerned.  “mad chicken duh- zeez?”  He dutifully stayed on the blankets.  When I came out of the bathroom, Jonny and Amelia were at the table, making surgical masks and feet protectors, to combat the spread of disease.  So get your blankets.  Don’t let your feet touch the floor.   Mad chicken duh- zeez may be coming to your house next. 

No comments: