Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Difference One Year Makes

Last year, I was shopping at Costco with Simon when he had an epiphany.  You can but things at Costco.  I guess he just thought you walk past a bunch of things that you can't buy, to get to the food that you can buy. 
I think he said something about a tv being turned on and I said they left it on to make people want to buy it.  Then he exclaimed "You can buy tv's at Costco?!" like that was the most incredible thing he ever heard.  As we proceeded through the store, he asked incredulously if we could buy all sorts of things including pants.

Contrast this with today's excursion.  We had just dropped off Amelia at a birthday party and were on our way home.  Jonny and Simon asked if we could stop at Costco.  So we went in and window shopped down all the aisles that I never turn on- the ones with toys and seasonal gadgets.  We admired Christmas ornaments and wrapping paper.  After each item, Simon asked if we should buy it.  I said no we're just looking.  Then we went down the toys aisle and pushed buttons through packages and things.  Simon went from "should we buy it" to "can we buy it."   As we neared the end of our jaunt, he got desperate.  "BUT I NEED IT!" he cried.  I just had to laugh when I saw what it was he was referring to:  a game of Star Trek Scene It. 

No comments: