Friday, January 11, 2013

Clappers and Kids

When I first got married, I had a Clapper.  I received it as a gift when I was a teenager and it was a fun novelty item.  I had it hooked up to my lava lamp.  It got broken in one of our first moves and has since been lamented and laughed at, alternately. 
Gary recently had a birthday and I bought him a Clapper just for fun.  Well, it turns out that a Clapper and a house full of kiddodiddos is not a good combination.  The claps need to be evenly spaced and we are all really good at clapping.  However if a noise happens betweens the claps (or if someone else claps just off beat), the clapper will not turn things on.  So now we have A LOT of yelling that sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDiYuEkP4M\
Yes, just like that because Santa brought Pee Wee's Big Adventure for Christmas. 
The extra yelling, combined with the extra crying (stop clapping, it's messing me up) and the lights flashing off and on with every random sound that could be clapping is less than ideal. 
Perhaps I should have noticed there are only quiet, old people in the advertisements.  Maybe it will work out better for us in about 40 years!


3 comments:

Jake said...

That's awesome! We need to get one at our house, if only to increase the chaos.

Leslie said...

Hey it sounds like the kids are having a great time with it, at least!

Gary S. said...

Mercifully, the Clapper only switches the light if there is a half-second quiet pause between claps. So we don't have on-off-on-off marathons.