Friday, January 28, 2011

Experiments

James successfully made a large lump of "gak" yesterday.  Think "slime" if you grew up where I did and used to buy it from gumball machines.  He is having tons of fun with it.  Amelia was inspired by his creation and decided to make her own.  She used all of the ingredients but didn't measure any so it didn't turn out. 
Simon still thinks he can hold poop indefinately, so I devised an experiment of my own, to teach him the truth.  I got out a playdoh press, where you put playdoh in the top and press the handle and it comes out in ropes of various shapes at the bottom, depending on which piece you fit over the opening.   Then I got out the playdoh- hard and dry.  But there's clay on top of the fridge and that's practically the same so we proceeded with the demonstration.  He and I took turns breaking off pieces of playdoh, labeling it a particular food (shredded wheat, french fries, etc) and worked the handle up and down to make chewing motions.  The idea being that the more "food" we put in the top, the more comes out the bottom.  I think you know what I was getting at, so I won't be more descriptive than that.  So we fed and fed this playdoh machine and nothing came out.  We gave it more.  We packed it so tight that we couldn't cram in anymore.  Unfortunately, clay is thicker and heavier than playdoh, so try as I might, I couldn't get any to come out the bottom.  I popped the handle off a couple of times trying.  So I unintentionally validated Simon's beliefs.  It would have been cool, if it worked.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

This post made me laugh! It's frustrating when our parental wisdom doesn't quite work out as intended ;)

I remember getting James' creation from gumball machines but I thought it was called glob?